Gemma of GG Jewellery was raised in rural Southland, New Zealand and was always creating and working with her hands growing up. Gemma became a classically trained goldsmith and transitioned into her first role in the jewellery industry in 2010 after becoming interested in jewellery during her marble sculpture apprenticeship in 2005-2006. Gemma worked for one of New Zealand's largest remaining jewellery manufacturers in Auckland before heading to the U.K. where she worked for a number of award winning boutique style jewellery brands and gained a breadth of experience working in numerous jeweller's workshops.
Gemma takes the traditional techniques given to her in her goldsmith training and fuses that with the organic nature of making contemporary jewellery from recycled precious metal. Gemma's one-off commission pieces are often the result of melting down a customer's unworn family gold in-house so that it can be re-formed into a style that Gemma has designed with her client. This process is a meaningful way to give new life to precious family jewellery that is otherwise not worn.
Core values held by GG Jewellery ensures that each piece is made with thought for our environment and it's people. At least 80% of the 'new' metal used in Gemma's pieces comes from a recycled source. The remaining 20% is sourced form small New Zealand alluvial operations. Gemma often uses re-purposed precious stones or stones sourced from New Zealand based distributors who follow procedures to ensure we use only the best.
Gemma draws from experience and traditional jewellery making techniques to specialise in remodelling your existing gold and silver jewellery by Re-Smithing your precious metal and re-designing the setting for your precious stones into something you want to wear today. This Re-Smithing process can begin by getting in touch with Gemma.